Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Crowbar 'Odd Fellows Rest'


Tracklisting:
Intro
Planets Collide
...And Suffer as One
1,000 Year Internal War
To Carry the Load
December's Spawn
It's All in the Gravity
Behind the Black Horizon
New Man Born
Scattered Pieces Lay
Odd Fellows Rest
On Frozen Ground

Remember Tomorrow - (bonus track)  

This album is one of those wierd albums that when you first hear it, it isn't what you are expecting so you don't really know what to think. At least it was that way for me. I kept looking for that "all I had I gave" or "existence is punishment", but it didn't have one so I was kinda lost at first. I think I listened to it three times, and then settled in on the song "planets collide" and for a while when speaking about this record that was really the only song I was into. After a while though I picked the record up again, and for some reason this record hit me so hard after the break from hearing it, and all of a sudden all th complex guitar harmonies and the intricate touch of somber melody that is the vein that runs through this entire record just leapt out at me. Kurts voice on this record is very typical Crowbar, but the lyrics and the tortured "fat guy on the toilet after getting his heartbroken and his whole family dying" thing he has going on coupled the definite slow down as far as tempo and the afformentioned guitar work create such a somber and sorrowful atmosphere on this record that I have to say is nothing short of a masterpiece. This record creates a sound that I truly believe can never be duplicated outside of this band, and if you are in anyway a fan of original, heavy, and dark metal do not wait, go out and buy this immediately. I had the pleasure of seeing Crowbar perform at a very small upstairs venue in Norfolk, Virginia about ten years ago, and to this day it was one of the most impressive shows I have ever seen. Their sound onstage was just absolutely massive and flawless. The way they seemlessly blended the songs together made you feel as if you were watching them pour their heart and soul out through their instruments. They did all my favorite songs off all the old records and when they did "December Spawn" live I litterally wanted to slice my wrists open, drink the blood, vomit it back up onto a piece of canvas just to be apart in some way to the art that was being realized in that room that evening. To say that my life was changed by this band that night would be a little much, but the things that I valued musically definitely were

No comments:

Post a Comment